Monday 24 March 2008

Disgusted of Mortlake

When did I become the sort of woman who sends this to a well known high street toy shop?:


Dear Sir / Madam

When I gave birth to my daughter in 2006, I had hoped she wouldn't be exposed to the negative gender stereotyping I was bombarded with growing up in the 70s. My husband came home on Good Friday with my daughter's Easter gift - Rose Cottage, part of the Happyland range (we've been collecting it for her for a while, and have previously been very satisfied with all items).

We were very disappointed with the text on the back of the packaging - so Mrs Barley makes sure everything is neat and tidy around Rose Cottage does she? And the little girl likes to stay home with her teddy while the boy likes going out playing with his train - come on E*C, get with the times!

Joanne


I just about managed not to include the words 'appalled and disgusted' in the text - but only just. Although I am indeed, appalled and disgusted, it does make me wonder whether any of it really matters. My friends and I were all brought up, as I said, bombarded with negative images of women (especially the country's leader at the time!) and we've all turned out OK. Most of us have been educated at university, most of us have had 'good' jobs and some of us (ahem) have even chosen not to go back to them when we've had children. Being a full time mother is the most challenging and rewarding job I've ever done, so why is it so undervalued? Why does my blood boil at the suggestion that that's 'all' my daughter can aspire to?

I don't have the answers. I don't imagine anyone does, but from now on, I'm proud to be a SAHM!


I'm not going to run through my goals, as I'll depress myself hugely! Will try harder.




No comments: